April 16 - May 1, 2015, students will take the Georgia Milestones Assessment for the first time. The Georgia Milestones Assessment System (Georgia Milestones) is a comprehensive summative assessment program spanning grades 3 through high school. Georgia Milestones measures how well students have learned the knowledge and skills outlined in the state-adopted content standards in language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies. Students in grades 3 through 8 will take an end-of-grade assessment in each content area, while high school students will take an end-of-course assessment for each of the eight courses designated by the State Board of Education.
Features the Georgia Milestone Assessment System include:
- open-ended (constructed-response) items in language arts and mathematics (all grades and courses);
- a writing component (in response to passages read by students) at every grade level and course within the language arts assessment;
- norm-referenced items in all content areas and courses, to complement the criterion-referenced information and to provide a national comparison; and
- online administration is being encouraged by the GA DOE, as the primary mode of administration, with paper-pencil as back-up.
- Student's special accommodations will be available on-line
Teachers have been preparing our students for this more rigorous assessment through daily instruction using Common Core Georgia Performance Standards. The majority of our students will use the traditional paper and pencil assessment in 2015. Those students identified for the online testing will complete online practice assessments provided by the Georgia Department of Education. The parent information brochure is attached and will be sent home on parent conference day in October. For a brief overview of the test, please click on the link: